Technical AccountantRef R-85219 Location Crewe, England
One of the biggest businesses you’ve probably never heard of has some very big finance opportunities for people with big ambition. We are Assurant. An innovative Fortune 500 company with 15,000 colleagues around the world, who protect what matters most to over 300 million customers. And whether it’s automotive support, mobile phone and gadget protection or house and business rental insurance, we are always ready to make sure small problems don’t become big issues.
Our continued significant year on year growth means opportunity for everyone. As part of our finance transformation, following the merger of Assurant and The Warranty Group in May 2018, we need a range of entrepreneurial finance professionals who can harness the power of technology to develop the insights, the products and the strategies that will excite our customers, bring our people together and take our business forward. The investment we are making in automating our processes, including through the use of AI now needs to be complimented by our investment in finance people with a questioning mind-set and a restless curiosity. Based in our European HQ in Crewe, every role will help us meet our growth targets and continue to expand our customer base.
You’ll be working with a team of very like-minded colleagues, you’ll be a decision maker and problem solver. And with access to senior leaders, your career opportunities will grow as you do. Most importantly you’ll be at the start of an ambitious growth period for Assurant across our European businesses. You might be part of a smaller business looking to step-up to the next level. Or, you might be part of a large organisation, but are looking for the next challenge. Whatever your background, this opportunity will help build all our futures.
This role will be responsible for the preparation of the underwriting data in the company’s general ledger, ensuring accuracy and completeness and in accordance with the monthly reporting timetables
The role ensures adequate controls are maintained through the preparation of balance sheet and underwriting reconciliations
Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to;
- Reconciliation of general ledger interfaces to cash transactions, profitability reports and other reporting
- Creation of manual journal entries for non interfaced business and for ledger corrections as required
- Calculation and recording of accrued income and expenditure including client profit shares
- Ensure that period end provisions for unearned premium, deferred expenses, outstanding claims and IBNR have been correctly made and following up as necessary with actuarial and underwriting staff. This will include checking interfaces back to underwriting data and creation of manual journals for adjustments and non interfaced business.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills, knowledge and expertise;
- Part Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent) and a high level of technical proficiency
- Advanced spreadsheet skills
- Flexible, adaptable and comfortable with change
- Sense of urgency with commitment to deliver results to strict deadlines
- Good accounting skills with a desire to develop new solutions
- Commercial mindset
- Credible with finance managers and senior management
- Experience of working in a finance team within a mid to large sized organisation
The call to action:
At Assurant, we’re very big on supporting you to be the best you can be. And from flexible working to healthcare support, from training and development to a range of rewards, what matters to you, matters to us. If you’d like to talk about big finance opportunities with the biggest business you’ve probably never heard of - apply today!
The United Kingdom
Assurant’s European head office in Crewe is home to over 900 employees.Find out more
Aix-en-Provence – Assurant Parc Cezanne: 380 Ave d’Archimede, Aix-en-provence, 13100, FranceFind out more
Assurant’s Italian headquarters is situated in front of the Cadorna railway station, with a convenient journey to Malpensa airport.Find out more
Assurant's office in Spain is located in Pozuelo de Alarcón, a charming city close to Madrid with easy transport links by train, car and bus (from Moncloa or Aluche).Find out more
Assurant’s German headquarters is located in the burgeoning business area of Lyiner Quartier in Frankfurt.Find out more
Located in the South East of Amsterdam, Assurant’s Netherlands office is convenient to public transport; just a 5-minute walk from the bus, train and Holendrecht Metro station.Find out more
Meet Our People
There is a reason that I am still loving life at Assurant after 15 years, thanks to the fast pace and constant support it always feels like you are learning. I have come to see those I work with as good friends and there is a real family vibe to the environment. Its definitely challenging at times but everyone contributes to making it a fun and rewarding environment no matter what role you are in.Joanna Marsh Operations Manager
Working at Assurant is fast-paced, fun and challenging. No two work days are ever the same.Miranda Cooke Strategic Business Development Executive
Working at Assurant in the Amsterdam office is working in a diverse and international environment where I am challenged everyday to develop myself and my professional skills.Marcel Kröpfl Senior Customer Service Associate