Senior Legal Counsel, NetherlandsRef R-84657 Location Amsterdam, North Holland
clients & customers.
At Assurant, diversity helps us drive innovation in the global marketplace, and we are strong believers in the strategic value of inclusion and how it improves performance, creates growth opportunities, better aligns us to our clients, and enhances employee engagement.
To achieve this, we believe we must reflect the diversity of the customers we serve.
To provide legal support (either internally or by way of management of external suppliers) to the European Legal Director, the EU Legal Team and the EU business
- Support the delivery of strategic initiatives and in year AOP to realise Assurant Europe’s vision and business objectives
- Draft, review and negotiate legally sound commercial contracts
- Provide legal support to the sales and business development teams, advising on contractual arrangements with clients and suppliers and other third parties
- Provide general compliance support to the business and the EU Compliance team
- Interpret and apply local laws and regulations to the business
- Advise on commercially viable solutions to legal issues
- Advise and provide recommendations to the business on legal risk and provide first line mitigation via insight and pragmatic support
- Manage external counsel on specific issues and costs
Support with legal training needs for the business
- Manage communication with key stakeholders, including the EU Legal Team and the European Legal Director, Executive Team, EU Senior Leadership Team and US Managers
- Act as deputy for Legal Director, France where required
- Act as deputy for Company Secretary, Europe where required
- Legal support to Risk, Compliance and Audit teams and also HR where required
- Assist in management of local legal systems and controls and assess on-going effectiveness
- Assist with implementation and maintenance of standard local legal templates and version control
- Assist with process management, including external legal control, board processes
- Assist with maintenance of a local library and filing systems to ensure availability of copy documents
Maintain up to date knowledge of local legislative changes
Maintain and comply with up to date internal legal policies
Report promptly to a line manager any perceived new risks or failure of existing controls
- Acts as first line mitigation control
- Implement and comply with group-wide risk policies and procedures
- Dutch qualified lawyer (mid-level say 6-10 years) but other experience considered
- In-house experience preferable but not essential
- Delivering solutions with a commercial mindset
- Drafting and negotiating commercial contracts
- Working or experience in a regulated insurance organisation is essential
- Working at senior management level
- Company secretarial experience
- Relevant knowledge of contract and commercial law
- Some knowledge of Dutch / European Insurance regulatory regime
- Some knowledge of Dutch Company Secretarial requirements
- Not essential but desirable – knowledge of law relating to HR, litigation, regulatory other than insurance, corporate, IP
- Dutch and English speaking. French speaking desirable but not essential.
- High degree of integrity and ability to manage confidential information.
- Results oriented - good interpersonal skills combined with a highly professional manner.
- Good time management and personal organisation with the ability to prioritise and work to deadlines under pressure
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Approachable and acts as role model and ambassador for the EU Legal team
- Flexible and enthusiastic approach to team working.
- Research skills.
- Ability to analyse data from multiple sources and apply critical thinking
- Strong written and oral communication
The United Kingdom
Assurant’s European head office in Crewe is home to over 900 employees.Find out more
Aix-en-Provence – Assurant Parc Cezanne: 380 Ave d’Archimede, Aix-en-provence, 13100, FranceFind out more
Assurant’s Italian headquarters is situated in front of the Cadorna railway station, with a convenient journey to Malpensa airport.Find out more
Assurant's office in Spain is located in Pozuelo de Alarcón, a charming city close to Madrid with easy transport links by train, car and bus (from Moncloa or Aluche).Find out more
Assurant’s German headquarters is located in the burgeoning business area of Lyiner Quartier in Frankfurt.Find out more
Located in the South East of Amsterdam, Assurant’s Netherlands office is convenient to public transport; just a 5-minute walk from the bus, train and Holendrecht Metro station.Find out more
Meet Our People
There is a reason that I am still loving life at Assurant after 15 years, thanks to the fast pace and constant support it always feels like you are learning. I have come to see those I work with as good friends and there is a real family vibe to the environment. Its definitely challenging at times but everyone contributes to making it a fun and rewarding environment no matter what role you are in.Joanna Marsh Operations Manager
Working at Assurant is fast-paced, fun and challenging. No two work days are ever the same.Miranda Cooke Strategic Business Development Executive
Working at Assurant in the Amsterdam office is working in a diverse and international environment where I am challenged everyday to develop myself and my professional skills.Marcel Kröpfl Senior Customer Service Associate